SubjectRe: Oops in reiserfs w/2.4.7-10
We have now tested the latest Red Hat 7.2 kernel (2.4.7.-10) and it
passes our regression tests, which means that it is indeed a reasonably
stable kernel that I would be willing to put my home directory on if it
was me and I wasn't using NFS on it. (I used 2.4.5 on my laptop for
months with no problem, and I would guess that it is as stable as that
one, when we talk about stable, remember we mean stable for a a few
hundred thousand users). The latest Linus kernels will be more stable,
and since Linux is still stabilizing, I would guess that using a recent
kernel is going to remain a good idea for the next few months.
Apologies to Red Hat for relying on second hand reports, and for that
reason advising users to go to a kernel I had more knowledge about.
Users using NFS should keep a watch on the recently found bug involving
rename, I think a patch just came out recently, and I expect it will be
going into the kernel soon.

Hans

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.412 / U:0.060 seconds]