SubjectRe: Testing Kernel Releases Before Being Released (Was Re: Re: loop back broken in 2.2.14)

I guess the way I'd do it would be to actually freeze [in which I mean
no more 'testing' patch are applied] a pre something, say 2.4.XpreY for
example, see if there are any obvious bugs in it (like the loopback in
2.4.14), correct them, test again, and if it's okay,
release 2.4.X.

Of course, I've never done much kernel work except testing, so I'm not
exactly the one who should talk about it.

Still, I think that from the user point of view (and there was a post in
LKML yesterday, about Linux being used by UN*X experienced sysadmins
only... or going mainstream instead) the releases should be tested a bit
more thoroughly and actually *frozen* for some time (a day or two should
suffice I guess) before being labelled 2.4.X.

Just the two cents from a newbie - I hope/mean to offense noone with that

François Cami

Sean Elble wrote:

> Something definitely should be done to help "stabilize" the tree; it's not
> really a big deal for most of us if something is broken, as you know there
> will be a fix posted very soon after the release, _but_ bugs like these
> don't exactly make Linux "look good" to the rest of the UNIX community. A
> FreeBSD advocate might say "well, FreeBSD never does _that_". My suggestion
> to help fix the problem would be to do what SGI does; have two seperate
> trees that strive to stay as close to each other as possible, but one
> becomes part of the "maintaince stream", where only bug fixes and the such
> are added, and a "features stream", where actual new features are added in.
> Take a look at some of the IRIX web pages at http://www.sgi.com/ for a
> better idea of how that works, but believe me, it works. This would be in
> addition to some sort of testing suite that each official kernel must pass
> before it is released. With the growing number of (important/big) Linux
> users, we must make sure each kernel is rock-solid before being released.
> This is definitely more of a political topic than a technical one, but it
> has to be addressed nonetheless.

> Sean P. Elble
> Editor, Writer, Co-Webmaster
> ReactiveLinux.com (Formerly MaximumLinux.org)
> http://www.reactivelinux.com/
> elbles@reactivelinux.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.070 / U:0.352 seconds]