SubjectBest kernel config for exactly 1GB ram
Hi,

I have just upgraded my athlon 1200 system to 1GB ram. I am unclear as
to how I should configure the kernel for this box. The config.help says
to say no to "high memory support" if the kernel will not run on a
machne with more than 1GB. When I do this I notice that my available
memory as reported by top is ~ 120MB less than if I say I want 4GB
support. I recall that linux reserves some of the address space for
itself (I thought it was just 64MB).

What are the trade offs involved here? Am I better off sacrificing a
bit of the physical memory for reasons of efficiency elsewhere? When I
request support for up to 4GB, what exactly changes with respect to the
visible virtual address space that apps see, etc?

This is a desktop machine, so it's not running Oracle or anything like
that. I seem to recall Linus mentioning that big databases tend to like
the large (3GB) virtual address space.

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve Bergman
steve@rueb.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.031 / U:0.832 seconds]