    SubjectRe: Numbers: ext2/ext3/reiser Performance (ext3 is slow)
    On Sat, 10 Nov 2001 wrote:
    > ext3 by default imposes stricter ordering than the other journalling
    > filesystems in order to improve _data_ consistency (as opposed to just
    > the guarantee of consistent metadata as most other filesystems do).
    > if you mount the filesystem with
    > mount -t ext3 -o data=writeback /dev/foo /mnt/bar
    > will make it use the same level of guarantee as reiserfs does.
    > mount -t ext3 -o data=journal /dev/foo /mnt/bar

    test with writeback and journal a already running. But this will take some
    time. as far as i can tell now writeback is really much faster.
    The question is, when to use what mode. I would use data=journal on my
    CVS-Archive, and maybe writeback on a news-server.
    But what to use for an database like mysql ?
    Someone mailed me and asked why use a journal for an database ?
    Well, I think for speed of reboot after failover or crash.
    I don't know if mysql journals data itself.

    Oktay Akbal

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.031 / U:47.596 seconds]