SubjectRe: Laptop harddisk spindown?
On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Samium Gromoff wrote:

> " Dominik Kubla wrote:"
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 01:51:05AM +0300, Samium Gromoff wrote:
> > > I`m sorry folks, i dont quite recall whether i poked lkml with that,
> > > but here it is:
> > > 2.4.13, reiserfs
> > > i have a disk access _every_ 5 sec, unregarding the system load,
> > > 24x7x365, so i suppose while it doesnt hurts me, it hurts folks with power
> > > bound boxes...
> > > I must add that i `m experiencing this on -ac tree too, adn this is true
> > > as far as my memory goes... (in the kernel-version context i mean)
> > >
> > > cheers, Samium Gromoff
> >
> > That's a FAQ: you have cron running...
> hehe...
> i`ve actually compiled cron only a week ago, so its not an issue ;)
> (i havent had cron before on my homemmade linux)
>
> i mean i`m not this lame, and i told *no_system_load*... :-)

Not to mention that 5 second obviously implies it can't be cron (given
that it runs once a minute), and points to bdflush, since that is the
flushing interval.

Now, on my home box, If I run /bin/sync, the disk seeks, whether there is
data to write or not. Before you point to me that I need to mount noatime
- already done :) I think it also did this when bdflush told it to sync,
but after installing noflushd (and hacking the b0rked init scripts),
all was fine. At least, until I installed ext3 :(

--
TimC -- http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~tcon/

Some witty text here,
can be any number of lines