SubjectRe: Is there a MAX TCP/UDP CONNECTIONS limit in Kernel?
On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Fernando Netto wrote:

> I´m having problems with concurrent TCP/UDP connections in my machine and
> wondered if there is a limit in Kernel of "how many connections can be open
> simoultaneously".

Are you talking of inbound, or outbound connections?

Inbound-connections are mostly limited by the available filehandles and by
how much server-processes your box can handle.

Outbound-connections are limited by the local portrange, changeable
in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range
(ran into this on one of my proxy servers, having thousands of connections
in the state CLOSING, TIME_WAIT and LAST_ACK - after
echo "1024 16383" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range the box at
least stays working)

> If someone know something about limitations and how to tune it up about this
> matter, please don´t forget to put my address in CC as I´m not a signer of
> this list.

c'ya
sven

--

The Internet treats censorship as a routing problem, and routes around it.
(John Gilmore on http://www.cygnus.com/~gnu/)