    SubjectRe: on exit xterm totally wrecks linux 2.4.11 to 2.4.14-pre6 (unkillable processes)
    Date
    On Thursday 01 November 2001 14:00, Pierre Rousselet wrote:
    > Nick LeRoy wrote:

    > >>Is it devfs or xterm which needs to be fixed ? I would
    > >>
    > >>suggest to switch to rxvt which works fine with/without devfs.
    > >
    > > With all due respect, I'd have to differ..... Do you have any idea how
    > > many people are running how many copies of xterm as we speak? Even if we
    > > pair that down to all those running devfs, it's certainly a substantial
    > > number. The kernel should, above all else, run old applications without
    > > breaking them.
    > >
    > > -Nick
    >
    > devfs is still marked EXPERIMENTAL in the kernel building. If you select it
    > you
    >
    > must be prepared to tolerate some misbehaviour. rxvt is not newer than
    > xterm, it is lighter.

    Marked experiment, for now. What about when it's no longer "experimental"?
    Configuring a kernel to enable such a feature should *not* break
    applications, especially something as prolific as xterm.

    -Nick

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.028 / U:0.160 seconds]