SubjectLinux 2.2 and 2.4 VM systems analysed

I've been following the 2.4 VM issues since the early 2.4-pre days. As
a "power user" and someone who uses Linux at work, the kernel's
stability is of great interest to me. Finally, I got sick of trying to
interpret the data from various sources on how well the 2.4 VM systems
perform overall and in comparison with each other and other systems. So
I ran my own tests against 2.4.12-ac6, 2.4.13, and 2.2.19 and wrote up
the results:

"An analysis of three Linux kernel VM systems"

The conclusion in a nutshell is that yes, the 2.4 kernel VM systems
still have a few quirks to work out, but overall they are so
significantly better than the 2.2 VM that there really is no

However, this "significantly better" conclusion is for certain
high-stress situations where the 2.2 VM apparently fails entirely, while
2.4 chugs along with barely a notice.

For overall end-user experience, 2.2 still "feels" better overall with
better interactive responsiveness under a varying set of loads even
though 2.4 really is faster at doing the actual work.

Comments, responses, suggestions welcome. Flames will be cheerfully
redirected to /dev/null.

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
usage: qrpff 153 2 8 105 225 < /mnt/dvd/VOB_FILENAME \