    SubjectLinux 2.2 and 2.4 VM systems analysed

    I've been following the 2.4 VM issues since the early 2.4-pre days. As
    a "power user" and someone who uses Linux at work, the kernel's
    stability is of great interest to me. Finally, I got sick of trying to
    interpret the data from various sources on how well the 2.4 VM systems
    perform overall and in comparison with each other and other systems. So
    I ran my own tests against 2.4.12-ac6, 2.4.13, and 2.2.19 and wrote up
    the results:

    "An analysis of three Linux kernel VM systems"

    The conclusion in a nutshell is that yes, the 2.4 kernel VM systems
    still have a few quirks to work out, but overall they are so
    significantly better than the 2.2 VM that there really is no

    However, this "significantly better" conclusion is for certain
    high-stress situations where the 2.2 VM apparently fails entirely, while
    2.4 chugs along with barely a notice.

    For overall end-user experience, 2.2 still "feels" better overall with
    better interactive responsiveness under a varying set of loads even
    though 2.4 really is faster at doing the actual work.

    Comments, responses, suggestions welcome. Flames will be cheerfully
    redirected to /dev/null.

    #!/usr/bin/perl -w

    usage: qrpff 153 2 8 105 225 < /mnt/dvd/VOB_FILENAME \
    | extract_mpeg2 | mpeg2dec -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:12    [W:0.027 / U:11.456 seconds]