SubjectRe: kbuild 2.5 preventing mixture of compilers
Date
In article <2644.192.168.2.1.1004602385.squirrel@mail.mswinxp.net> you wrote:
> IMHO, that is a good idea... almost.

> What about companies that maintain closed source driver modules for their
> hardware?

> I know a lot of people here will say, 'well they should open source them
> then'. However, some companies don't want to for their own reasons and
> this 'could' blow them out the water a bit and affect end users.

If a different compiler version is known to break (and Keith says he has
seen that in practice, and I can see it happen as well given that a few
kernel headers depend on compiler version), the vendor in question is better
off being informed about the incompatibility. He _already_ has to have an
exact match on the kernel version and the other symbols, so adding the
compiler to that is not an extra burden, just a "oh we goofed" prevention..

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:12    [W:0.031 / U:1.248 seconds]