    SubjectRe: RFC: patch to allow lock-free traversal of lists with insertion
    On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 01:51:45PM +0530, BALBIR SINGH wrote:
    > Dipankar Sarma wrote:
    >
    > >Either you see the element or you don't. If you want to avoid duplication,
    > >you could do a locked search before inserting it.
    > >Like I said before, lock-less lookups are useful for read-mostly
    > >data. Yes, updates are costly, but if they happen rarely, you still benefit.
    > >
    > How does this compare to the Read-Copy-Update mechanism? Is this just another way of implementing
    > it, given different usage rules.

    Fundamentally, yes, RCU is a method for lock-less lookup. It is just
    that RCU is elaborate enough to allow you deletion and freeing of
    data as well.

    Thanks
    Dipankar
    --
    Dipankar Sarma <dipankar@in.ibm.com> Project: http://lse.sourceforge.net
    Linux Technology Center, IBM Software Lab, Bangalore, India.