    SubjectRe: [RFC] I still see people using cli()
    Victor Yodaiken <> writes:

    > On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 07:59:05PM +0530, BALBIR SINGH wrote:
    > > BTW, that brings me to another issue, once the kernel becomes preemptibel,
    > what
    > > are the locking issues? how are semaphores and spin-locks affected? Has
    > anybody
    > > defined or come up with the rules/document yet?
    > IF the kernel becomes preemptible it will be so slow, so buggy, and so painful
    > to maintain, that those issues won't matter.

    The preemptible kernel work just takes the current SMP code, and
    allows it to work on a single processor. You are not interruptted if
    you have a lock held. This makes the number of cases in the kernel
    simpler, and should improve maintenance as more people will be
    affected by the SMP issues.

    Right now there is a preemptible kernel patch being maintained
    somewhere. I haven't had a chance to look recently. But the recent
    threads on low latency mentioned it.

    As for rules. They are the usual SMP rules. In earlier version there
    was a requirement or that you used balanced constructs.

    and not.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:04    [W:0.023 / U:10.964 seconds]