SubjectRe: [patch] 2.4.11-pre4 remove spurious kernel recompiles
From
In article <23246.1002450342@ocs3.intra.ocs.com.au> kaos@ocs.com.au wrote:

| This patch removes the dependency on the top level Makefile and
| seperates UTS_RELEASE from LINUX_VERSION_CODE. Changing the top level
| Makefile no longer forces a complete recompile. Changing EXTRAVERSION
| only affects a few files. Changing VERSION, PATCHLEVEL or SUBLEVEL
| still does a major recompile, no way around that because of the number
| of places that test LINUX_VERSION_CODE and modules that need the kernel
| version string.

I'll let comments accumulate on this, but it seems to offer hope that
patching a few modules and changing the EXTRAVERSION so they go in their
own directory will not blow off eight minutes of time to recompile.
That's nice, assuming it works.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
"If I were a diplomat, in the best case I'd go hungry. In the worst