    SubjectRe: %u-order allocation failed
    > > Yes - you can run out of vmalloc space. But you run out of it only when
    > > you create too many processes (8192), load too many modules etc. If
    > > someone needs to put such heavy load on linux, we can expect that he is
    > > not a luser and he knows how to increase size of vmalloc space.
    >
    > Not just that - you get fragmentation of it which leads you back to the
    > same situation as kmalloc except that with the guard pages you fragment the
    > address space more.

    So - for example if you have 500 processes, each process 8k stack (plus
    one page for vmalloc alignment). Please tell me some alloc/free strategy
    that fills up and fragments 64M vmalloc space.

    You can't find it.

    The difference between memory and vmalloc space is this: you fill up the
    whole memory with cache => memory fragments. You don't fill up the whole
    vmalloc space with anything => vmalloc space doesn't fragment.

    Mikulas

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:04    [W:0.049 / U:0.192 seconds]