    SubjectRe: %u-order allocation failed
    >OK, but my patch uses vmalloc only as a fallback when buddy fails. The
    >probability that buddy fails is small. It is slower but with very small
    >It is perfectly OK to have a bit slower access to task_struct with
    >probability 1/1000000.
    >But it is ***BAD*BUG*** if allocation of task_struct fails with
    >probability 1/1000000.

    I missed the beginning of the thread, sorry if that question was
    already answered,

    What about all the code that still consider kmalloc'ed memory is
    safe for use with virt_to_bus and friends and is contiguous
    physically for DMA ? In some cases (non-PCI devices, embedded
    platforms, etc...), the pci_consistent API is not an option.
    That means that __GFP_VMALLOC can't be part of GFP_KERNEL or
    many driver will break in horrible ways (random memory corruption).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:04    [W:0.022 / U:3.608 seconds]