    SubjectRe: [announce] [patch] limiting IRQ load, irq-rewrite-2.4.11-B5

    Alan Cox writes:

    > You only think that. After a few minutes the kiddie pulls down your routing
    > because your route daemons execute no code. Also during the attack your sshd
    > wont run so you cant log in to find out what is up

    I have a real example from a university core router with BGP and full
    Internet routing. I managed to get in via ssh during the DoS attack.
    We see that the 5 min dropping rate is about the same as the input
    rate. The duration of this attack was more half an hour and BGP survied
    and the box was pretty manageable. This was with a hacked tulip driver
    switching to RX-polling at high loads.

    eth2: UP Locked MII Full DuplexLink UP
    Admin up 6 day(s) 13 hour(s) 47 min 51 sec
    Last input NOW
    Last output NOW
    5min RX bit/s 23.9 M
    5min TX bit/s 1.1 M
    5min RX pkts/s 46439
    5min TX pkts/s 759
    5min TX errors 0
    5min RX errors 0
    5min RX dropped 47038
    5min TX dropped 0
    5min collisions 0

    Well, this was a router but I think we very soon have the same demands for
    most Internet servers.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:04    [W:0.040 / U:26.424 seconds]