SubjectRe: Finegrained a/c/mtime was Re: Directory notification problem
Andi Kleen wrote:

>On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 01:44:20PM +0100, Padraig Brady wrote:
>
>>Andi Kleen wrote:

>>>Near any CPU has a cycle counter builtin now, which gives you ns like
>>>resolution. In theory you could still get collisions on MP systems,
>>>but window is small enough that it can be ignored in practice.
>>>
>>>-Andi
>>>
>>But the point is you, only ever would want nano second resolution to make
>>sure you notice all changes to a file. A more general (and much simpler)
>>solution would be to gen_count++ every time a file's modified. What other
>>applications would require better than second resolution on files?
>>

>The main advantage of using a real timestamp instead of a generation
>counter is that we would be compatible to Unixware/Solaris/... Their
>API is fine, so I see no advantage in inventing a new incompatible one.

Even so I can't see a need to have this resolution for mtime, and as you
pointed
out there can still be races on SMP systems and timing resolutions are
system
dependent anyway.

>Another advantage of using the real time instead of a counter is that
>you can easily merge the both values into a single 64bit value and do
>arithmetic on it in user space. With a generation counter you would need
>to work with number pairs, which is much more complex.

??
if (file->mtime != mtime || file->gen_count != gen_count)
file_changed=1;

>[or alternatively reset the generation counter every second in the kernel
>to get a flat time range again,
>which would be racy and ugly and complicated in the kernel because it
>would need additional timestamps]

No need as long as it doesn't wrap within the mtime resolution (1 second).

>Also a rdtsc/get_timestamp or in the worst case a jiffie read is really
>not complex to code in kernel, what makes you think it is?

Sorry, by more complex I meant more instructions/CPU expensive.

>-Andi

Padraig.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:04    [W:0.167 / U:0.136 seconds]