    SubjectRe: [announce] [patch] limiting IRQ load, irq-rewrite-2.4.11-B5
    jamal wrote:

    > On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Ben Greear wrote:
    >
    > > The tulip driver only started working for my DLINK 4-port NIC after
    > > about 2.4.8, and last I checked the ZYNX 4-port still refuses to work,
    > > so I wouldn't consider it a paradigm of stability and grace quite yet.
    >
    > The tests in www.cyberus.ca/~hadi/247-res/ were done with 4-port znyx
    > cards using 2.4.7.
    > What kind of problems are you having? Maybe i can help.

    Mostly problems with auto-negotiation it seems. Earlier 2.4 kernels
    just would never go 100bt/FD. Later (broken) versions would claim to
    be 100bt/FD, but they still showed lots of collisions and frame errors.

    I'll try the ZYNX on the latest kernel in the next few days and let you
    know what I find...

    > My point is that the API exists. Driver owners could use it; this
    > discussion seems to have at least helped to point in the existence of the
    > API. Alexey had the hardware flow control in there since 2.1.x .., us
    > that at least. In my opinion, Ingos patch is radical enough to be allowed
    > in when we are approaching stability. And it is a lazy way of solving the
    > problem

    The API has been there since 2.1.x, and yet few drivers support it? I
    can see why Ingo decided to fix the problem generically. I think it would
    be great if his code printed a log message upon trigger that basically said:
    "You should get yourself a NAPI enabled driver that does flow-control if
    possible." That may give the appropriate visibility to the issue and let
    the driver writers improve their drivers accordingly...

    Ben

    Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>
    President of Candela Technologies Inc http://www.candelatech.com
    ScryMUD: http://scry.wanfear.com http://scry.wanfear.com/~greear