SubjectRe: Huge console switching lags
On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, James Simmons wrote:
> > > Well the reason the framebuffer suck is because the current api sucks for
> > > them. It draws pixel by pixel. Slow slow slow!!! I have developed a new
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Where does it draw pixel by pixel?

> > > api that takes advantage of the accel engine of graphics hardware. It is
> >
> > Great. VESAfb doesnt have one. Lots of older machines dont have one.
>
> True. Of course VESAfb exist because we lack so fbdev drivers. In time

Yep. Vesafb started as a nice gimmick to show that it's possible, and turned
out to be a solution for yet another
we-don't-release-specs-to-OS/FS-people company.

> The software accel functions needed by the console layer (copyarea,
> fillrect, and drawimage) have been already written. Okay the drawimage one
> needs alot of work. I haven't benchmarked the new code versus the current
> code but you can see the difference. One of the big changes I have have
> made is that on write data to the framebuffer word aligned and a long at
> a time. For 8bpp you have 4 pixels written at a time. This makes for a
> much tigher loop. On ix86 you can see a huge difference in performance due
> to the word alignment. I knwo because at first I had a bug that wasn't
> doing it right. After I fix that bug you could see the difference.

Euh, most fbcon-* drivers already do this. Grep for fb_write in e.g.
drivers/video/fbcon-cfb8.c and count the byte accesses (=> 0).

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

P.S. Not to criticize the development in the Ruby tree of the linux-console
project, but I don't like facts that aren't true.

-- Linus Torvalds