Subject2.2.19 memory problems
I write here to report memory problems 'I have encountered with the
later 2.2 series of kernels.

I once ran many versions of gvim without editing any file and
discovered that each subsequent launching took as much memory as the
first: around 1.2-1.6MB, IIRC. Whatever happened to shared memory?

Then this week with 2.2.19, I was in X Windows, and launched
programs many times, and then quit X Windows entirely with Ctrl-Alt
Backspace. I then did a ps -aux to make sure no process remained in
memory other than is normal at start-up. Then I ran free and it
reported 15MB of swap memory was still being used. I have a 16MB
machine and a minimal install which sometimes reports less than
1.5MB used at start-up -- RAM, that is, not swap. I think this is a
problem with 2.2 memory handling.

Mihai

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:12    [W:0.030 / U:1.200 seconds]