    Subjectgraphical swap comparison of aa and rik vm
    Date
    In an earlier post i mentioned a way of locking up my vm easily and
    repeatedly but that has since been fixed in one way or another. I reran the
    test and took vmstat 1 's of both runnings on a 2.4.14-pre6-preempt kernel
    and a 2.4.13-ac5-preempt kernel. I began both vmstat's at the same time
    (about 4 seconds before running each). What i did was run kghostview on a
    postscript file located here http://safemode.homeip.net/test.ps . It is
    224K. kmail was loaded previously in both trials so kdeinit was already
    loaded as were all libs. After kghostview became responsive, i waited a few
    seconds (again about 5) and then exited the app.

    No other interaction or running programs were present while doing this.
    I have 771580 KB of ram and 290740 KB of swap.

    Now to explain the graphs.
    The blue is AA's vm. The red is Rik's vm. Rik's vm finished in 66 seconds.
    AA's vm finished in 52 seconds. Both start at 0 swap usage. Both from clean
    boots.

    Here is the graph http://safemode.homeip.net/vm_swapcomparison.png . It's
    about 4.6K.

    When you look at the graph it goes like this.
    The left side is 0 seconds, the right side is 66 seconds. bottom is 0KB, top
    is 290740KB.

    These are generated from data from the orignal vmstat outputs. These are at
    http://safemode.homeip.net/aa_vmstat
    and
    http://safemode.homeip.net/rik_vmstat

    I'll leave the actual interpretation of the data of both the graph and raw
    data up to those who actually know the code.

    Neadless to say that while running the test on either box, the entire
    computer became unresponsive multiple times for extended lengths of times.
    No OOM was generated on either run.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:12    [W:3.734 / U:0.056 seconds]