    SubjectRe: please revert bogus patch to vmscan.c
    On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 09:17:31AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > I still have the occasional nightmares about the IBM block diagrams
    > "explaining" the PowerPC MMU in their technical documentation.
    >
    > There's probably a perfectly valid explanation for them, though (*).
    >
    > Linus
    >
    > (*) Probably along the lines of the designers being so high on LSD that
    > they thought it was a really cool idea. That would certainly explain it in
    > a very logical fashion.

    All the studies I saw were back from the days when
    cache-speed/expensive-memory-speed was close to 1. In this case, the
    effect of randomizing memory fetches is no big deal. The rest
    of standard PPC mmu architecture is pretty nice, but, if the Alpha
    architects could decide to use the PC cmos clock as their only
    prgrammable timer, and the Itanium guys could decide to put in a single
    shift-mask path, why shouldn't the IBM designers get to destroy cache
    by wasting a bunch of CPU area logic?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:2.564 / U:0.028 seconds]