SubjectRe: need help interpreting 'free' output.
On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 08:52:58AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> So in the short range, I haven't come up with any really good approaches,
> but I suspect I'll just have to move the shrink_[di]cache() back to the
> caller, which will at least shrink them on swapouts (a bit too much, I
> think, but on the other hand maybe not).

Agreed.

It is still interesting to hear if it makes a big performance differece
under swap though. In particular it would be very nice to keep inodes
with pagecache in it out of the unused-inode-list, but it would need
additional bitkeeping in inode.c.

I'm also wondering why you dropped the early-cow for the write swapins,
just to avoid managing the anon pages in the lru in do_swap_page and to
have the logic only in once place? I kept the early-cow logic so I only
get 1 page fault for every write-swapped-in pages.

Andrea

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.121 / U:0.016 seconds]
©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans