SubjectRe: 2.4.13 kernel and ext3???
On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, P.Agenbag wrote:

> Does it mean that if there is a fairly large difference between the
> RedHat 2.4.7 and the stock one from kernel.org, that they are not
> really the same?

Indeed, but that's a good thing because people often want/need
more features or bugfixes than what's in the standard kernel.

> ie, does anyone foresee any future problems with redhat adding
> all these extra features to their kernel and people who would like to
> upgrade to a newer version ( for one, I selected ext3 during install,
> yet, now trying to install 2.4.13, I must revert back to ext2...)

ext3 has been in Alan's kernels for a while now, you can
always upgrade to a new -ac kernel and keep using ext3.

Also, the fact that ext3 isn't available in 2.4 -linus
doesn't sound like a good reason to not make this useful
feature available to the users of Linux distributions ;)

regards,

Rik
--
DMCA, SSSCA, W3C? Who cares? http://thefreeworld.net/