    Subjectmtu problem with masquerading+pppoe(adsl) setup
    Date

    Hello, (i am sorry if this is the wrong place to ask)

    despite the frequent discussions concerning this topic on usenet, i failed
    to solve my problem:

    - i have a debian potatoe box that acts as a masquerading server for a
    heterogenous win2k/winnt/mac LAN. pppoe works fine, and so does
    masquerading ... almost

    - the kernel i installed is the latest 2.2 kernel (2.2.19)

    the problem:

    i can't access some sites from the masq clients, while i can access them
    from the masq server. (like www.vitrine.be)

    The problem seems to be widely known, and seems to be an MTU+no-fragment
    packets issue. and indeed:
    - the MTU on my LAN is 1500 bytes
    - the MTU on my ppp connection is 1492 bytes.

    on the archives, i found the following solutions:
    - raising the ppp MTU to 1500 bytes. it won't work. even if i specify 1500,
    the mtu is still 1492.
    - lowering the mtu of the LAN to 1492 bytes. thats not an option according
    to my boss.
    - upgrade to something newer than 2.2.14. i run 2.2.19 and i still have the
    problem.

    So my questions are:

    - are there other options ? i read some vague german things about msschamp
    or something like that, but i don't know if they are even related.

    - will an upgrade to linux 2.4 or the kernelspace pppoe driver fix my
    problem ? (i would like to keep my current setup, i don't know how
    difficult it is to upgrade a potatoe box to such a recent version ..)

    Some other observations:

    - win2k as masquerading server does not have the problem, but switching to
    win2k is not really an option since win2k seems to have severe problems
    with ftp connections.

    - the problem also occurs for some mail servers.

    Thanks in advance,

    Frank Dekervel

    --
    Frank Dekervel