SubjectRe: [announce] [patch] limiting IRQ load, irq-rewrite-2.4.11-B5

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, jamal wrote:
>
> > use the netif_rx() return code and hardware flowcontrol to fix it.
>
> i'm using hardware flowcontrol in the patch, but at a different, higher
> level. This part of the do_IRQ() code disables the offending IRQ source:
>
> [...]
> desc->status |= IRQ_MITIGATED|IRQ_PENDING;
> __disable_irq(desc, irq);
>
> which in turn stops that device as well sooner or later. Optionally, in
> the future, this can be made more finegrained for chipsets that support
> device-independent IRQ mitigation features, like the USB 2.0 EHCI feature
> mentioned by David Brownell.

I think each subsytem should be in charge of its own fate. USB applies in
whatever subsystem it belongs to. Cooperating subsystems doing what os
best for the system.

> i'd prefer it if all subsystems and drivers in the kernel behaved properly
> and limited their IRQ load - but this does not always happen and users are
> hit by irq overload situations.

Your patch with Linus' idea of "flag mask" would be more acceptable as a
last resort. All subsytems should be cooperative and we resort to this to
send misbehaving kids to their room.

> Your NAPI patch, or any driver/subsystem that does flowcontrol accurately
> should never be affected by it in any way. No overhead, no performance
> hit.

so far your appraoch is that of a shotgun i.e "let me fire in
that crowd and i'll hit my target but dont care if i take down a few
more"; regardless of how noble the reasoning is, it's as Linus described
it -- a sledge hammer.

cheers,
jamal

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:04    [W:0.123 / U:0.184 seconds]