    SubjectRe: [announce] [patch] limiting IRQ load, irq-rewrite-2.4.11-B5

    On Wed, 3 Oct 2001 kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

    > Ingo, "polling" is wrong name. It does not poll. :-)

    ok. i was also mislead by a quick hack in the source code :)

    > Actually, this misnomer is the worst thing whic I worried about.

    i think something like: 'offloading hardirq work into softirqs' covers the
    concept better, right?

    > Citing my old explanation:
    >
    > > "Polling" is not a real polling in fact, it just accepts irqs as
    > > events waking rx softirq with blocking subsequent irqs.
    > > Actual receive happens at softirq.
    > >
    > > Seems, this approach solves the worst half of livelock problem
    > > completely: irqs are throttled and tuned to load automatically.
    > > Well, and drivers become cleaner.

    i like this approach very much, and indeed this is not polling in any way.

    i'm worried by the dev->quota variable a bit. As visible now in the
    2.4.10-poll.pat and tulip-NAPI-010910.tar.gz code, it keeps calling the
    ->poll() function until dev->quota is gone. I think it should only keep
    calling the function until the rx ring is fully processed - and it should
    re-enable the receiver afterwards, when exiting net_rx_action.

    Ingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:03    [W:2.512 / U:0.408 seconds]