    SubjectDoes VFS cache individual files? Is the linker involved?
    Dear sirs,

    QUESTION:
    Does VFS cache the content of a file?

    Does VFS consult memory instead of disk, when accessing a file that is
    already linked to a process that is running?

    RELATED INFORMATION:
    Operating system RedHat 7.1, kernel 2.4.3-12 (from RedHat RPM)
    My webserver runs tripwire for integrity test of critical files.

    One night, when the PHP runtime of apache had crashed, tripwire reported
    checksum error of
    /usr/lib/apache/libphp4.so
    The next night, when apache was restarted, there where no checksum
    errors of the file.

    I have seen checksum errors of /lib/libc-2.2.2.so, rpm also reported md5
    checksum error when I
    used rpm to verify the installation of glibc.

    Thank you for your time reading this

    regards,

    Magnus Sundberg

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:11    [W:2.456 / U:0.556 seconds]