    SubjectRe: i/o stalls on 2.4.14-pre3 with ext3
    David Mansfield wrote:

    > I tried out 2.4.14-pre3 plus the ext3 patch from Andrew Morton and
    > encountered some strange I/O stalls. I was doing a 'cvs tag' of my local
    > kernel-cvs repository, which generates a lot of read/write traffic in a
    > single process.

    hmm.. Thanks - I'll do some metadata-intensive testing.

    ext3's problem is that it is unable to react to VM pressure
    for metadata (buffercache) pages. Once upon a time it did
    do this, but we backed it out because it involved mauling
    core kernel code. So at present we only react to VM pressure
    for data pages.

    Now that metadata pages have a backing address_space, I think we
    can again allow ext3 to react to VM pressure against metadata.
    It'll take some more mauling, but it's good mauling ;)

    Then again, maybe something got broken in the buffer writeout
    code or something.

    Is this repeatable?

    while true
    do
    cvs tag foo
    cvs tag -d foo
    done

    If so, can you run `top' in parallel, see if there's
    anything suspicious happening?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:12    [W:17.978 / U:0.692 seconds]