SubjectRe: strange hangs with kernel 2.4.12 (and 13)
Date
Michael Reinelt <reinelt@eunet.at> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've got some strange problems here, since 2.4.12 (2.4.10 was ok, I
> never tried .11)
2.4.10 was the first kernel that broke for me.

> I've got seveal processes hanging in "D" state, especially devfsd. I
> think something with devfs and/or devfsd is broken here. If I kill
> devfsd before, the problem does not arise (but I need devfsd :-)
I've had this problem as well - it seems there's a deadlock in devfs.
I have sent a mail to Richard Gooch about this some days ago, but he
hasn't responded yet.
I will resend my bug report to the list then.

> Now, It gets even more strange: The problem does only exist if I
> deactivate ACPI! I tried with a ACPI enabled kernel with the command
> line "acpi=off", I tried on a machine which is too old for ACPI, and I
> even compiled a kernel without ACPI at all. Everywhere the same problem.
> When I boot with activated ACPI, there's no problem.
I don't know about this.

--
Johannes Kloos
"Walk a mile on these paws and call me a liar."