SubjectRe: Other computers HIGHLY degrading network performance (DoS?)
On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 01:53:08PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:

> Turning off byte range support in the web server works suprisingly well for
> it.

But won't it affect retry features of other `good' software such as wget? At
any rate, people are downloading from web/ftp sites on the Internet, which are
beyond our control, and apache hacks are anyway impossible. However, I am
thinking of setting up a transparent proxy (squid/iptables) on the firewall and
let it handle the bandwidth limiting and the like.

> Another non hacking code approach would be to set up CBQ or other bandwidth
> limiters so that the users of download accelerator get no benefit.

I don't mind hacking approaches. Otherwise, I won't be reading the LKML ;-)

> The advantage of the apache hacks is that you can make them actually suffer

That is a wonderful idea. Trying to exploit features on the Internet should be
a punishable offence ;)

Regards,

Anuradha

--

Debian GNU/Linux (kernel 2.4.13)

Exhilaration is that feeling you get just after a great idea hits you,
and just before you realize what is wrong with it.