SubjectRe: kernel compiler
GCC 3.0 Produces slower code, eh?  I was of the understanding that it
contained many more optimizations than previous versions...???

Any way, I've been able to run my system based entirely on a fairly
recent GCC CVS-3.02 snapshot, including kernels, and everything EXCEPT
for glibc which is specifically incompatible according to the GNU folks.

By way of information however, neither of the GCC 3.0 releases (3.0.0 or
3.0.1) work at all on my system, and I cannot get a kernel to function
at better than -O2 (not that I could get that to work in 2.95.* or
2.96.* either).

--Lost Logic (Brandon Low)

Alan Cox wrote:

>>>At the moment, gcc3 doesn't work too well with the kernel, and you won't
>>>get any large benefit.
>>>
>>I use gcc3 to compile anything and everything I need. With the
>>exception of "multi-line literal complaints", my kernel compiles fine.
>>
>>Is there anything that I should know?
>>

>Mostly that gcc 3.0 generally produces slower code. I've had a couple of
>noticed glitches with -ac but those have workarounds in the tree now
>-

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:10    [W:0.083 / U:0.156 seconds]