SubjectRe: In great need
I am a newbie/wannabe kernel hacker too :).

Here are the steps I plan to take:

[1] Take an Operating Systems class (or read through the
syllabus materials).
[2] Write a small operating system (to learn the stuff
that OS courses/books don't teach... for example, it
took me a while to realize where the BIOS loads the
MBR... thank god lilo is open source).
[3] Learn a little about hardware and hardware
standards like PCI, PCMCIA, ACPI, USB, etc.
[4] Read Oreilly's "Understanding the Linux Kernel".
[5] Read the linux-kernel FAQ and archives
[6] Read linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org (No Posting!)
[7] Read linux source code
[8] Read linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org (Post at Will!!)
[9] Identify an area of need
[10] Write code
[11] Sacrifice a virgin pigeon and drink milk of an
albino goat....

You are now a kernel hacker.

I'm at step 2... perhaps as I go further a few of the
steps will disappear :). Just my $0.02.