SubjectRe: SiS630S FrameBuffer & LCD
From
On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Stuart Young wrote:
> Like my previous SiS post, I'm once again using the Clevo lp200t (SiS630S
> chipset), and trying to enable the SiS FrameBuffer device. Once again, this
> happens on 2.4.9, 2.4.10, and 2.4.12.

Well, that piece of ***** chipset will ONLY work if you talk to it through
the VESA BIOS in a laptop I have here. This is fine for XFree86 (we used
the VESA driver), but I don't know if this would work for the kernel VESA
framebuffer driver.

The SiS drivers will basicaly screw your hardware up. You *must* talk to it
through the BIOS, or it will not manage to get the video/LCD timings right or
even hung the PCI bus. Smells like the chipset needs extra data that the
current drivers do not know how to set.

> In either case, the machine continues to run happily, and I can either ssh

Lucky you. Our laptop got a PCI buffer hung out of the deal.

> It seems plausible that the documentation that SiS has provided is now
> out--of-date, and/or the drivers are assuming the wrong things in cases of
> the unknown. The problem is easily reproducible, and the SiS630S chipset
> (which seems to be the one affected, but may not necessarily be the only
> one) is becoming more widespread in laptop/all-in-one PC's.

Indeed. We need fully updated docs from SiS on how to deal with their newest
"contribution" to the onboard-video family.

Henrique Holschuh