SubjectRe: Linux 2.2.20pre10
Date
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > Everyone wants to bring up the Sklyarov case, but he didn't just
expose the
> > > weakness of the code, his company actively sold a product for
financial gain
> > > that circumvented the protection. While I still don't think the
Sklyarov
> > The Felten case is the more relevant one.
>
> decss as well -- strange how people forget that one so easily

Not forgotten, just trying to understand relevance. How do these cases,
which all revolve around breaking commercial products and cause damage to
the corporations that push them, apply to security in the open source Linux
kernel to which the public is given all rights.

BTW, I'm not for the DMCA either, I understand the harm it causes, what I
don't understand is how people are twisting it to apply to Linux source code
and security issue. Is Microsoft also in violation of the DMCA? In some
cases they release security details on the issues their updates address. If
so perhaps we should all sue Microsoft for damages and by tomorrow the law
will be repealed.

Later,
Tom

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.077 / U:1.092 seconds]