SubjectRe: Linux 2.2.20pre10
On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 12:30:02PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:

> > > 2.2.20pre11
> > > o Security fixes
> >
> > Care to elaborate?
>
> On a list that reaches US citizens - no. File permissions and userids may
> constitute and be used for rights management.

Alan, are we to assume any future security related patch details are to
be censored until this DMCA madness is over?

In this case, im not sure if its a good idea for anyone to actually
apply these patches until they have read, and understand the code. If
the person in question is not fluent in C, how do they know what they
are patching, or whether to patch it at all without your explanation of
what it does?

If this is the case, im sure lots of websites will spring up, with
blatent disregard for the DMCA, that will fill in the blanks from the
changelogs. People will make a public stand against this insanity.

On the other hand, if the actual code for these security fixes is not
classed as "Details", i dont know what is.

2.5.8 changelog...
o Security Fixes
| None applied for fear of the code upsetting the US DMCA
o VM updates (Rik)
o Some other updates
| applied, but authors kept anonymous for fear of the DMCA
| seeing the updates as security issues, also details censored
| just in case.
o etc.

madness.

--