SubjectRe: The new X-Kernel !
On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 04:38:26PM -0500, Sean Cavanaugh wrote:
> This side thread is funny, everyone here is thinking too much like a
> developer :)
>
> Normal users really don't need to see the startup message spam on boot,
> unless there is an error (at which point it should be able to present
> the error to the user). Any kind of of progress indicator' s really
> more for feedback that the boot is proceeding ok. The fact the boot
> sequence isn't even interactive should also be a big hint that it isn't
> really necessary (except for kernel and driver developers).

A big no-no ... as I told my story of my girlfriend with Linux.
Nobody is forced to use Linux .... I don't think so to put more complexity
JUST FOR stupid users. But come on! I don't inmagine that a user CAN'T
live with visible kernel messages ... Or if so, send them to the hospital
because they're allegric to letters :)

But for being serious ... For example you can build SECURITY into an OS.
You can install "firewalls" to Windows. And that sw component may ask
user that it detects something which MAY cause problems, and it asks
user if this task is allowed or not. And most of "stupid-users" don't
even read what message said! And if so, it's not helpful at all, since
the security on answering a question is to KNOW what does it covers.
What does it means? There is NO perfect security, there is NO perfect
solution and so for "stupid-user' TILL someone invents AI to help them ;-)

- Gabor

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:08    [W:0.142 / U:0.048 seconds]