SubjectRe: [RFC] New Driver Model for 2.5
Date
On Friday 19 October 2001 22:24, you wrote:
> > You could encode that device id in the node's path or use the path as a
> > moniker for the device id (the symlink solution does this), but you need
> > to have more information about the device than it's minor number (the X
> > in /dev/lpX).
> What does devfs do now?

Gets the name from the device driver, usually X is the minor number (or the
minor number + some constant, if several drivers share a major number). The
names are only constant if the devices are discovered in the same order.

> > Ok, but I think no one doubts that it is a bad idea to assign ethX
> > semi-randomly. Basically this is the same problem as with device files,
> > only in a different namespace.
> So is that in favor of changing the current ethX naming convention or not?

I don't know. You don't need a device file for networking, but if there is
some mechanism to allow stable names it would certainly be good to use it for
network, too.

> > The device registry (www.tjansen.de/devreg) patches devfs to allow the
> > things described above though.
> Everything, with all of the ids? What about scsi/ide?

Only SCSI/sd, PCI and USB.

bye...

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:08    [W:0.083 / U:0.648 seconds]