SubjectRe: [reiserfs-list] Re: ReiserFS data corruption in very simple configuration
From
On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 04:47:31PM +0400, Nikita Danilov wrote:
> foner-reiserfs@media.mit.edu writes:
> > [Please CC me on any replies; I'm not on linux-kernel.]
> >
> > The ReiserFS that comes with both Mandrake 7.2 and 8.0 has
> > demonstrated a serious data corruption problem, and I'd like to know
> > (a) if anyone else has seen this, (b) how to avoid it, and (c) how to
> > determine how badly I've been bitten.
> >
> Stock reiserfs only provides meta-data journalling. It guarantees that
> structure of you file-system will be correct after journal replay, not
> content of a files. It will never "trash" file that wasn't accessed at
> the moment of crash, though. Full data-journaling comes at cost. There is
> patch by Chris Mason <Mason@Suse.COM> to support data journaling in
> reiserfs. Ext3 supports it also.

one question:

When I was using ext2 I always mounted the /usr partition read-only, so
that a fsck weren't necessary at boot - and the files were all guaranteed
to be OK to bring the system up at least.

Does this (mount -o ro) make sense with ReiserFS as well? What I mean is,
is there a chance of a file getting corrupted that was only *read* (not
*written*) at or before a power outage?

I mount all my system partitions with -o notail,noatime if that makes any
difference.

--
Jens Benecke ········ http://www.hitchhikers.de/ - Europas Mitfahrzentrale

rm -rf /bin/laden

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:08    [W:0.137 / U:0.160 seconds]