SubjectRe: [Lse-tech] Re: RFC: patch to allow lock-free traversal of lists with insertion

On 13 Oct 2001, Andi Kleen wrote:

> In article <Pine.LNX.4.33.0110131015410.8707-100000@penguin.transmeta.com>,
> Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:
>
> > - nobody has shown a case where existing normal locking ends up being
> > really a huge problem, and where RCU clearly helps.
>
> The poster child of such a case is module unloading. Keeping reference
> counts for every even non sleeping use of a module is very painful.
> The current "fix" -- putting module count increases in all possible module
> callers to fix the unload races is slow and ugly and far too subtle to
> get everything right. Waiting quiescent periods before unloading is a nice
> alternative.

... while quiescent stuff is _not_ subtle and not prone to breakage. Right.
In the same world where Vomit-Making System is elegant, SGI "designs" are
and NT is The Wave Of Future(tm). Pardon me, but I'll stay in our universe
and away from the drugs of such power.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.066 / U:3.568 seconds]