    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] FUSD v1.00: Framework for User-Space Devices
    "Pavel Machek" <pavel@suse.cz> writes:

    > Hi!
    >
    > > > Yep. And linmodem driver does signal processing, so it is big and
    > > > ugly. And up till now, it had to be in kernel. With your patches, such
    > > > drivers could be userspace (where they belong!). Of course, it would be
    > > > very good if your interface did not change...
    > >
    > > I don't see how linmodem drivers apply. At least not at the low-level
    > > because you actually have to driver the hardware, respond to interrupts
    > > etc. On some of this I can see a driver split like there is for the video
    >
    > You don't actually need interrupts -- you *know* when next sample arrives.
    > And port io is completely fine with iopl() ;-).

    But DMA? You are talking about what amounts to a sound card driver.
    And since in the cases that burn cpu time you have to process raw
    sound samples into modem data, you need to shift a fair amount of
    data. inb and outb just don't have the bandwidth. So you need a
    kernel side component that drives the hardware to some extent.

    Additionally you still don't need a FUSD driver for that case. All
    you need is to have is a ptty. Because that is what modem drivers
    are now. And the ptty route has binary and source compatiblity
    to multiple unix platforms.

    Eric

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:08    [W:0.023 / U:34.224 seconds]