SubjectRe: Really slow netstat and /proc/net/tcp in 2.4
On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 09:56:01PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:

> The hash table is likely to big anyways; eating cache and not helping that
> much. If you're interested in some testing
> I can send you patches to change it by hand and collect statistics for
> average hash queue length. Then you can figure out a good size for your
> workload with some work. Longer time I think the table sizing heuristics
> are far too aggressive and need to be throttled back; but that needs more
> data from real servers.

Wouldn't just counting the lines in /proc/net/tcp be sufficient to see
how many buckets should be used in an ideal hash table distribution
scenario? (In which case the size of the hash table depends largely on a
machine's work load...)

Most of our web servers seem to have 500-1000 entries in /proc/net/tcp.

Simon-

[ Stormix Technologies Inc. ][ NetNation Communications Inc. ]
[ sim@stormix.com ][ sim@netnation.com ]
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employers. ]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:08    [W:0.069 / U:3.928 seconds]