    SubjectRe: 2.4.11 loses sda9
    Date
    On Thursday 11 October 2001 00:07, Alexander Viro wrote:
    > > I recompiled (I used the same .10 conf) and rebooted, but my reboot
    > > halted because /dev/sda9 didnt exist. I checked this in fdisk, and it
    > > didnt see it. I rebooted to the 2.4.10 kernel, and sda9 was there. What
    > > happened?
    >
    > Information from fdisk would help - from both versions (with 2.4.11 you'll
    > need to boot with init=/bin/sh, obviously). It may be a bug in partition
    > code, it may be something fishy with guessing geometry (SCSI uses bread()
    > for that) and it may be something fishy in block devices in pagecache
    > stuff.
    >
    > If you have sfdisk, sfdisk /dev/sda -O /tmp/foo + mailing the result would
    > make debugging the thing much simpler (that one - from the 2.4.10).

    I can get the system booted enough to work on (and totaly up) with this
    partition failing. I dont know what more information from fdisk I can give
    you, sda9 is there with .10, and gone with .11 It even allowed me to add a
    new partition (i didnt save) I tried sfdisk but it gave me these errors.

    sfdisk /dev/sda -O /tmp/foo
    Checking that no-one is using this disk right now ...
    BLKRRPART: Device or resource busy

    This disk is currently in use - repartitioning is probably a bad idea.
    Umount all file systems, and swapoff all swap partitions on this disk.
    Use the --no-reread flag to suppress this check.
    Use the --force flag to overrule all checks.

    I didnt try the flags, Im worried that its going to overwrite my
    filesystem. Heres my /proc/scsi/sym53c8xx/0 in case its needed. My system
    is entirely scsi, except for an atapi burner. All scsi compiled static.

    General information:
    Chip sym53c875, device id 0xf, revision id 0x26
    On PCI bus 0, device 16, function 0, IRQ 9
    Synchronous period factor 12, max commands per lun 32

    Whats my next step?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:08    [W:0.023 / U:91.676 seconds]