    SubjectRe: Module read a file?
    "Christopher Friesen" <> writes:
    > Mark Atwood wrote:
    > > I'm modifying a PCMCIA driver module so that it can load new firmware
    > > into the card when it's inserted.
    > > Are their any good examples of kernel code or kernel modules reading a
    > > file out of the filesystem that I could copy or at least look to for
    > > inspiration?
    > What about adding an ioctl() and making a userspace tool to pass the
    > new firmware down in a buffer? This lets you do more complicated
    > error-checking and maybe some sort of validation of the firmware in
    > userspace, saving on kernel size.

    Because the firmware is stored in volitile memory on the card, and
    vanishes on a card reset or removal, and I would like to have it Just
    Work with the pcmcia-cs package with minimal changes.

    Having to remember "run this userspace tool after every card reset"
    (which includes power suspends and so forth) would be a major pain.

    Besides, the card already has a good validator in it.

    Mark Atwood | I'm wearing black only until I find something darker. |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:08    [W:0.024 / U:82.776 seconds]