    SubjectRe: Tainted Modules Help Notices
    On Oct 11, 2001  01:02 +0200, Juan Quintela wrote:
    > alan> Well under the DMCA thats probably a criminal offence with five years in
    > alan> jail. The truth however is that if you want to lie about licensing or
    > alan> run a modutils that doesn't do it nobody stops you. Its there primarily
    > alan> to deal with bug filtering from people who don't know better. Folks who
    > alan> know enough to subvert the mechanism generally also know better than to
    > alan> post Nvdriver bugs to l/k.
    >
    > Never understimate the ability of users to subert that kind of
    > barriers.

    Given that "subversion" will only mean editing the text output of ksymoops
    to not display the "tainted" flag, I don't see it to be a big barrier to
    entry. If it is in the FAQ (or documented elsewhere) that "if ksymoops
    says 'tainted: 1' submit your bug reports only to the vendor" it will be
    a small matter to delete that line, and if this is NOT documented anywhere
    it will not reduce the number of bug submissions, which was the original
    goal.

    I don't think we need to be mucking with "GPL vs. BSD" or anything, but
    rather "source available or not" as the criterion for a tainted module.
    Heaven forbid that using some driver currently in the kernel sources
    marks your kernel as tainted, it would make the whole thing useless.

    Cheers, Andreas
    --
    Andreas Dilger \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
    \ would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?"