    SubjectRe: [PLEASE-TESTME] Zerocopy networking patch, 2.4.0-1
    On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > The _lower-level_ stuff (ie TCP and the drivers) want the "array of
    > tuples", and again, they do NOT want an array of pages, because if
    > somebody does two sendfile() calls that fit in one packet, it really needs
    > an array of tuples.

    A kiobuf simply provides that tuple plus the completion callback. Stick a
    bunch of them together and you've got a kiovec. I don't see the advantage
    of moving to simpler primatives if they don't provide needed
    functionality.

    > In short, the kiobuf interface is _always_ the wrong one.

    Please tell me what you think the right interface is that provides a hook
    on io completion and is asynchronous.

    -ben

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.021 / U:29.652 seconds]