SubjectRe: [PLEASE-TESTME] Zerocopy networking patch, 2.4.0-1

> I've put a patch up for testing on the kernel.org mirrors:

> /pub/linux/kernel/people/davem/zerocopy-2.4.0-1.diff.gz

> Finally, regardless of networking card, there should be a
> measurable performance boost for NFS clients with this patch
> due to the delayed fragment coalescing. KNFSD does not take
> full advantage of this facility yet.

Hi David,

I don't really want to be chiming in with another 'make it a kiobuf',
but given that you already have written 'do_tcp_sendpages()' why did
you make sock->ops->sendpage() take the single page as an argument
rather than just have it take the 'struct page **'?

I would have thought one of the main interests of doing something like
this would be to allow us to speed up large writes to the socket for
ncpfs/knfsd/nfs/smbfs/...
After all, in both the case of the client WRITE requests and the
server READ responses, we end up with a set of several pages that just
need to be pushed down the network without further ado. Unless I
misunderstood the code, it seems that do_tcp_sendpages() fits the bill
nicely...

Cheers,
Trond

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.164 / U:27.664 seconds]