SubjectRe: DHCP Problems with 3com 3c905C Tornado
Tim Wright wrote:
> Sounds somewhat familiar. The pump that came with RedHat 6.2 never worked
> correctly at work, but dhcpcd worked just fine (we don't have static IP
> addresses, but there are fewer machines than there are addresses in the pool,
> so effectively, we do :-). The odd thing is that I (mis?)understood in this
> case that dhcpcd was not working either (unless I'm confusing this with a
> different thread). Suffice to say that newer versions of pump seem to work
> much better, at least for me.

No, you're not confused. Someone did mention that dhcpcd was
playing up.

Obviously, something changed between 2.2.14 and more current
kernels which broke pump. I don't believe it's a driver change
because it also affects the 3c90x driver. I don't have a theory
as to why this affects the 3com NICs though. But I'm assuming
that whatever broke pump also broke dhcpcd.

I note that with 3c59x in 2.4.0, pump-0.7.3 basically freezes up.
It spits out a single bootp packet then goes to lunch. I got
bored waiting after ten minutes. So an upgrade is definitely needed.