SubjectRe: [PLEASE-TESTME] Zerocopy networking patch, 2.4.0-1
* Jes Sorensen (jes@linuxcare.com) wrote:

> I don't question Alexey's skills and I have no intentions of working
> against him. All I am asking is that someone lets me know if they make
> major changes to my code so I can keep track of whats happening. It is
> really hard to maintain code if you work on major changes while
> someone else branches off in a different direction without you
> knowing. It's simply a waste of everybody's time.

Perhaps you missed it, but I believe Dave's intent is for this to
only be a proof-of-concept idea at this time. These changes are not
currently up for inclusion into the mainstream kernel. I can not think
that Dave would ever just step around a maintainer and submit a patch to
Linus for large changes.

If many people test these and things work out well for them
then I'm sure Dave will go back to the maintainers with the code and
the api and work with them to get it into the mainstream kernel.
Soliciting ideas and suggestions on how to improve the api and the code
paths in the drivers to handle this new method most effectively.

Stephen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.080 / U:4.704 seconds]