SubjectRe: Linux-2.4.x patch submission policy
On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Ingo Oeser wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 02:37:47PM -0200, Rik van Riel wrote:
> > Once we are sure 2.4 is stable for just about anybody I
> > will submit some of the really trivial enhancements for
> > inclusion; all non-trivial patches I will maintain in a
> > VM bigpatch, which will be submitted for inclusion around
> > 2.5.0 and should provide one easy patch for those distribution
> > vendors who think 2.4 VM performance isn't good enough for
> > them ;)
>
> Hmm, could you instead follow Andreas approach and have a
> directory with little patches, that do _exactly_ one thing and a
> file along to describe what is related, dependend and what each
> patch does?

I wasn't aware Andrea switched the way he stored his patches
lately ;)

But seriously, you're right that this is a good thing. I'll
work on splitting out my patches and documenting what each
part does.

(but not now, I'm headed off for Australia ... maybe I can
split out the patches on my way there and cvs commit when
I'm there)

OTOH, the advantage of having a big patch means that it's
easier for me to get people to test all of the things I
have. Guess I'll need to find a way to easily get both the
small and the big patches ;)

regards,

Rik

http://www.surriel.com/