       Date: 	Sun, 7 Jan 2001 11:40:10 +0000 (UTC)
    From: "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hps@tanstaafl.de>

    As long as "man ip" on my machines returns "ip(7) - ip - Linux IPv4
    protocol implementation", using "ip" exclusively instead of
    ifconfig and route is IMHO not an option for anyone else than
    bleeding edge hackers and linux gurus.

    As long as "man printf" gives me that damn shell command manpage, I
    will not use printf in my C applications. :-)))) Yes, I do
    understand, "ip" needs some more documentation perhaps.

    Nobody has suggested getting rid of ifconfig, rather we have suggested
    to implement it in terms of "ip" because, as you even mention, "ip" is
    powerful and can do everything ifconfig can do thus ifconfig can be
    implemented as a wrapper on top of "ip".

    Nobody has suggested to use "ip" exclusively, you will not invoke "ip"
    with the suggestion I am making. Ifconfig indirectly will, but you
    won't even notice nor should you care. They will be packaged
    together, so even that won't be an issue.

    Later,
    David S. Miller
    davem@redhat.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.019 / U:29.664 seconds]